Open Your Eyes

English 380 - Ecoliterature

Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Friday, February 03, 2006

Air

Wednesday's class this past week was spent on a hike up to Rockslide Ridge - a place that I hadn't yet had a chance to get to over the years. Our time was absolutely gorgeous:

















Air is a strange substance: Invisible, but visible. Necessary, but destructive. Able to be both cold and warm, it does not suffer. It cannot be traced, but can only be spotted. It's through the transparent lens of this cool breeze that I am able to see the beauty of the hills that surround me. On this day in particular, one can, with good enough vision, see all the way to Santa Barbara. Granted a little more elevation, the channel islands would be easily visible to the naked eye, though almost 100 miles away.
Air is a channel - a medium. Light is able to travel through paths of empty space as well as non-empty space. Its heat is transmitted through the winds, but is not dissipated within it. Really, we live in an aquarium - an aquarium of air, or perhaps an "airium" would be a more appropriate term. Walking on the bottom of our sea, we don't see the sea around us. Our gills constantly filter out the good from the bad and an ancient cycle is once again repeated. In one sense, we are all little "SpongeBob's," going about our business, soaking up what we need to, squeezing it out when we become bored.
How is it that though it cannot be seen, its forces can be observed even on my own body. It can be FELT, and TASTED, but cannot be seen. How then can I trust it? Is it real? Perhaps it's just a big hoax, but it can't be. It resists my body when riding a bike, I can feel it entering and leaving my lungs, I can smell something like parsley by means of it... and so I know it is there by faith and nothing else. Sight, I suppose, could be just as relative as any other sense. But I do not nullify the existance of a book because I cannot taste it! For the same reason, I cannot nullify the existance of air because I cannot see it.
Air is a strange substance: Invisible, but visible. Necessary, but destructive. Able to be both cold and warm, it does not suffer. It cannot be traced, but can only be spotted.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home